Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Mann may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to the First District of Kansas. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
- At least 17 years old but not past their 23rd birthday on the first of July of the year they wish to be admitted.
- Unmarried citizens of the United States with no dependents.
- A legal resident of the First Congressional District in Kansas.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents to Reid.Petty@mail.house.gov:
- Please fill out the nomination form
- A short statement expressing why you would like to attend a U.S. Service Academy (250-500 words, 12 pt. font, single-spaced)
- One recent photo (4x6 portrait preferred), suitable for the Academy Selection Committee and any potential future press releases from Congressman Mann
- A detailed list of your school, church, and civic activities as well as any special honors
- Complete high school transcripts (& college if applicable)
- ACT and/or SAT score verification
- 3 letters of reference (1 from your high school counselor); Please submit letters on official letterhead and must be signed by author
- Affidavit of legal permanent residence signed by parents or guardians, and Notary Public
- Copy of this checklist completed (included in nomination form)
All required materials must be emailed to Reid Petty (Reid.Petty@mail.house.gov) by November 1, 2021. Applicants who meet the basic eligibility requirements and submit a completed nomination file by November 1st will be invited to meet with Congressman Mann’s Service Academy Nominations Board.
More information regarding interview dates and nomination announcements to follow. If you have any question, please contact Reid.Petty@mail.house.gov.